Wednesday, June 19, 2019

American Food vs. French Food


One of my favorite parts of living in France was having a whole new cuisine to try. 

I thought it was interesting how my daily meals differed (or didn't differ) from my typical meals in the US, so here is a comparison of food in America. vs. France.

B r e a k f a s t

America: I usually eat a yogurt or a bowl of cereal before class. 

France: I typically walked to the boulangerie and bought a pain au chocolate


L u n c h

America: I usually eat a turkey sandwich or a chicken and ranch wrap from a deli near campus.

France: After class, I would buy a baguette sandwich (a sandwich made out of an entire baguette), or I would buy a plain baguette and make a pb&j out of it... much to the dismay of my French roommates, who had never heard of a pb&j before and were disgusted by the concept.  


D i n n e r

America: Depending on the day, I either have a salad, soup, sandwich, or some combination of the three. 

France: This is where my meals differed the most. Because I was on a budget, and because I cannot cook, I often made spaghetti or saladHOWEVER, one of my roommates had many dinner parties where she would make typical French food. My favorite was when she made buckwheat galettes, which were basically savory crepes with ham and a fried egg in the middle. 


D e s s e r t

America: On a good day, my preferred dessert would be either a brownie, chocolate chip cookie, or ice cream, but I usually don't have anything because while I am not good at cooking, I am also not good at baking.

France: Walking into a boulangerie was dangerous for two reasons: 1. there were so many dessert options, and 2. the closest one was only a five minute walk from my apartment. When I succumbed to my cravings of French dessert, I usually had either an eclair, macaroons, or, my personal favorite, a nutella crepe




No comments:

Post a Comment